Friday, May 27, 2011

Safar's Reader Response


Joan Sfar’s The Rabbi’s Cat was such an exciting and funny read. The Rabbi followed his beliefs and religion all the time in the beginning of the text. However, later on his beliefs soon fade away as he goes to Paris to visit the youngest Rabbi’s father. It is then that he decides to forget about his religion and bend the rues.
The part of the text when the Rabbi decided to bend the rules, and eat what he wanted; was when he ordered the pork along with the blood sausage. It comes off as very realistic. Many people including myself never go by what they should eat, and not suppose to eat. In America it is very common for Northern people to eat what they want, even though they know they aren’t suppose to. Americans can’t resist the smell and taste of fried foods or sugar. The fact that Joan Sfar had the Rabbi do that, was very relatable to myself, as well as others.
            The Rabbi going against his beliefs and not following through with his religion, clashes with my view of the world because I didn’t 100@% give up on my religion, but I don’t attend meetings like I should. I also haven’t followed through with the bible like I should. Not because I don’t care about my religion I just got caught up with so many other things, that I forgot one of the most important things in my life.
            What I learned was just like how the Rabbi was preaching about his religion and talking about it everyday, but later on gave up on it. There are many people in the world who are all about their religion as well but drop it later on, and act like it was never important to them in the first place. I always thought that most people who followed religion from the beginning stay following it. I also thought since the Rabbi would talk to the Cat and Zlabya about religion; that maybe he will follow through with it all the way to the end. I guess Joan Sfar wanted to show how people can become hypocritical when it comes to their religion, and that they can turn their back on it.  
            Joan Sfar’s view on beliefs and religion address how I feel about religion. When he had the Rabbi doing things he shouldn’t be doing for example; feeding the dog and cuddling with him, even though he’s not suppose to. I end up doing things that I am not suppose to for example; I’m not supposed to use bad language but I do it anyways. I also am supposed to go around and tell people about God’s work but I don’t do that at all.
            I would read some of Joan Sfar’s other work because I think it would be interesting to get his view on other types of issues in the word. I would recommend this book to my friends to see what their reactions would be to the language and points about religion.

1 comment:

  1. You make some interesting observations about how Sfar discusses how hard it is to make actions and belief match. Your own stories are interesting examples.

    ReplyDelete