Saturday, January 8, 2011

Popol Vuh: the Dawn of Life Reader Response

I’ve read so many interesting things in Popol Vuh: the Dawn of Life for example; how the humans were created from mud and wood. In the Bible humans were created from bones and dust. It’s interesting to learn about Latin Americans beliefs for example; how the humans were killed by everything they harm. The Gods wanted to be remembered, and when the men didn’t remember them they were killed from the animals they eaten, the pots they heated up on the stove, from grains, stones and sticks. I think the way the Gods destroyed the humans because they wanted to be remembered was very wrong and harsh. They did make them out of wood so of course they weren’t going to have any souls or they couldn’t think. Their brains were made from wood as well. I feel that’s the reason why humans can think and are able to feel because God created us from dust as well as, bones. It’s hard to do that when you are created from wood and mud. Also God wanted us to be able to think for ourselves, but in Popol Vuh: the Dawn of Life it seems that the Gods wanted the humans to think a certain way. One thing I did love about Popol Vuh: the Dawn of Life was when the youths came to take over because Vacub-Caquix as well as, his two sons only cared about riches and power. I agree with this part because I am a very caring person myself, and I do not care about riches or anything of that sort. I know there are more important things than being rich or powerful. So, when I read about how the youths broke down Vacub-Caquix and his two sons egos it made me very happy. I feel there is no one more powerful than God himself, and I feel that money is a good thing for when it comes to having to pay bills or for a living but that is not all I care about. I care more about me and my family’s health. I also care about God and other people in the world. Not riches or being powerful. I leave the powerful thing up to God.
Overall I felt this was a good reading because it helped me learn more about Latin Americas beliefs and their culture. I am looking forward to learning more about Latin Americas culture.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a perfectly groovy background. Anyway, as for the Popul Vuh (which I am very glad you italicized!), I agree that it does seem pretty violent in places. For a long time people thought the Mayan people were very peaceful people, and they are, which you will see if you go to Guatemala, but these stories surprised many scholars when they translated them and found them to be so violent. There is a lot written on this topic. However, the humility and generosity that we read about this these stories is also evident in the Mayan people even now.

    ReplyDelete