Monday, February 14, 2011

Isabel Allende's Zorro Readers Response

I really enjoyed Zorro more than I did the other readings we had. Matt Wagner, Isabel Allende, and Francesco Francavilla all did an amazing job on this novel. The graphic novel was so much easier to read and quicker. One of the things that captivated my attention about this book was the images.
The images came off as powerful and I felt some sort of connection to them. One of the images that I felt was powerful and I felt connected to was the image where El Diego saw the woman being beaten with a whipped. The reader can see the emotions in his face and can tell that he is a caring person. It also shows how El Diego felt the woman’s pain, and his eagerness to save the woman.  I can connect to this image because I am a caring person myself and if I saw someone getting abused I would be as eager, as El Diego to save them.  I also felt this image was one of the many reasons, why El Diego became Zorro, so he can help people who were being hurt or abused. Another, image I felt was powerful and meaningful was the image of the Fox. I feel this image was powerful because it was symbolic of how El Diego became Zorro. Looking at the Fox the reader can see that he is glowing with white light, which is also suppose to mean that he is EL Diego’s spirit. I feel that the images gave out so many emotions sad, happiness, angry, etc. The images cause the reader to feel connected to the story more. I think that’s what Matt Wagner wanted to do was have the readers feel connected to the story. Besides the images being powerful I also feel the writing was powerful for example, when the Spanish men cursed, because it kept my interest and it left me into wanting more. I also think the cursing was effective in a way that it gave the novel a dark and mysterious side. Another, thing about the cursing that, I love is how it was being used. I noticed the bad men used bad language while the good men used good language. The cursing helped the reader to indentify who was the good person in the story and who was the bad person in the story. The writing helped to separate the good and the evil.
This book was a very enjoyable to read. It was dark, mysterious and it kept my undivided attention. I would recommend it to my friends, family and anyone else who is familiar with the legendary Zorro.

1 comment:

  1. I like the point you make about how the images drew the reader into the novel. You make a particularly good point about how the fox glowed, which showed its magical and symbolic importance. Your point about the language shift is interesting: remember that good guys speak well and bad guys don't!

    ReplyDelete